Hello Monday! You’ve been pretty good to me so far so I’m thankful! The weekend also included some fun things. We got to go out on a date on Friday night and eat delicious food! I really like going out to eat and spending time alone with the husband. Eating and traveling are top priorities in our “fun budget” category! It’ll be so fun when Asher can enjoy these things more too!
Speaking of budgets…we spent a bit of time going over our budget this weekend and working hard to make some of our goals happen. I’m always trying to tow the line between going extreme and being realistic. There’s such a balance between living life and being responsible. If I could chuck responsibility out the window, I’d be jumping on planes and traveling a lot while also eating really well and there’d be a lot of dessert. Instead, we’re focusing on enjoying life and putting a lot toward my last graduate school loans. Any budget tips for me?
Saturday was filled with worship practice, prepping for Sunday, and time with family to celebrate a birthday. Sunday was a bit quieter, which I was so thankful for then. Plus, we got a movie and snagged a pizza deal from Papa John’s. I am in love with their garlic dipping sauce.
Other things that I “found” recently include….
- This verse stuck out: He will bring you quietness with His love. Zephaniah 3:17
- She Reads Truth starts their new reading plan called “Open Your Bible.” I jumped on board this morning!
- WestBow Press is accepting manuscripts for a New Look Writing Contest.
- Cool Running has some fun speed work plans. I’m hoping to improve my 5k time this fall!
Oh and lastly…there’s these two who keep making us smile, laugh, and love life even more.
Yikes! This week kind of felt like it was dragging on, but I’m sure glad it’s finally Friday. I’m ready for a date night, family time, church, and maybe even a few other fun things packed in there. Oh and guess who is 10 weeks old today!? Asher! I am like whoa he is already in double digits for weeks. To celebrate, he oh so kindly has been sleeping 8 hours in a row the last few nights. I’m a fan of this new stage. Plus, he is extra smiley too. Though, let’s be honest…the flip side is that during the day he has been extra hungry and quite a bit clingy. There’s always something new to learn and an ever expanding lesson in flexibility. Other than that, this has been a pretty normal week. Here’s a little list of the things I’ve been loving!
- KIND Bars
- Since I’ve been nursing (and that boy can eat!), I have been so snacky and have often found myself needing something fast. I’ve taken to trying out some fun granola bars. I’ve been loving the Vanilla Blueberry by KIND this week! I’m on the lookout for healthy, fast snacks so send them my way if you have any!
- BOB Stroller
- The more I use the BOB stroller, the more I love it. I’m a little addicted. Trip to Target, okay I’ll grab the BOB. Grocery shopping? Why, of course, I’ll use the BOB and then I won’t need a cart. Time for a walk or running? Yep, the BOB. I am so very glad and thankful that we budgeted and made getting a nice jogging stroller a priority when it came to baby things. Asher loves it and he’s a happy guy in it or well probably mostly sleepy or content, but I will take that! Plus, the shocks make rocking him just enough if he does get fussy and they help curb the uneven ground on the dirt roads by our house.
- I’ve been intentional about journaling more lately and really trying to set aside time to write. I love writing. I have for a long, long time. I can remember whipping out a 70 or something page book in middle school and being extra proud. Though, I also know other times where “art scars” have popped up and caused me to hold back from writing. I’ve got a whole shelf full of journals and they’re one of my favorite things. I’m working on putting those gremlins death and to keep on picking up the pen or typing out the words.
- Since having Asher, I’ve learned the wonderfulness of a warm bath and time to sit and read or write or just plain think. The time alone is golden and I am a big fan in this season. Plus, we have a nice big bath so I will take advantage while I can! I’m glad I’m finally learning to enjoy this and this week was no exception!
- Instagram and Feedly
- I’ve really been enjoying reading other people’s stories lately and seeing beautiful things in the pictures they post. Lately I’ve been inspired, encouraged, challenged, and refreshed by the updates I have been seeing. I love when these are what I walk away with rather than bitterness, jealousy, envy…those are my red flags to check my heart and see what is going on inside. All that to say, I’m loving them right now.
Lastly, here are a few of the pictures I’ve loved from this week!
Boaz cracks me up!
Somebody looks SO big!
I love that we are a family who loves to read!
I made food! Frittata deliciousness.
What have you been loving!?
This past weekend we had such a fun time since we are finally feeling better!
We started Friday off by going to a birthday party for some awesome people from church. I’m always curious to see how these things will go now that we’ve got a baby in tow. He did great though and was pretty content the whole time! Plus, I’ve realized that I just love seeing other people love him. Our pastor’s daughter and our worship leader got to hold him quite a bit and he loved it! I am so incredibly thankful for all these awesome people in his life and for how they bless our family. I totally need to get more pictures of him with other people though! Too often I don’t get my camera out.
Saturday was a day that turned out different than the first plan, but it worked! We had wanted to go to the Farmer’s Market and go to their community breakfast, but then we saw it was raining and we had been slow at getting ready anyway. So, that plan went out the window and we went instead to eat breakfast in town. Then we ran some errands and I did some work at church before getting home to my much needed nap! The longer stretches Asher sleeps at night makes it harder for me to go right back to bed sometimes. Though, I am NOT complaining about him sleeping longer! I will take my 6 and a half hours of sleep in a row whenever he will give it to me!
(these are from a couple of weeks ago, but he’s just so cute and funny when he sleeps!)
Sunday meant getting ready for church and getting there in time for worship practice. After church we hung around a bit and then Ryan’s aunt came over with a present for Asher. Visiting time, nap time, and then family walk time all before our fun bedtime routine. For bedtime, we’ve started giving Asher a bath and sometimes reading a little. It’s pretty much my favorite.
(blurry but I just love how he rests his hand on the stroller strap!)
All in all, a perfectly good weekend and now we’re back into the Monday routine with the husband off at work…but at least I got to go out to lunch with Asher, the husband, and my mom today! And eat the most delicious greek grain salad and tomato bisque soup…mmmm.
How was your weekend?
Here’s what I’ve been loving this week! I’ve been fighting a cold the last few days so there’s a slight theme with some… 🙂
1. Hot water with honey! This has totally made it easier to drink lots of fluids. Nursing and being sick meant upping the fluids quite a bit!
2. Ice cream…for a sore throat 🙂 I’ve been loving the Natural Vanilla from Breyer’s and Pistachio Pistachio by Ben & Jerry’s and Cinnamon Buns by Ben and Jerry’s. I’ve been looking for the best cookies and cream ice cream out there but can never remember which brands I like and don’t like. Plus, if anyone ever finds Mint Chocolate Cookie by Ben and Jerry’s let me know….I miss that flavor a lot!
3. Time with Asher, Boaz, and Ryan (when he’s not at work). Boaz has been such a good sport with all his crazy allergies and then with more kennel time when I got sick. He’s been so cute around Asher too. Though, he’s made it his mission to find all of Asher’s pacifiers…
4. An awesome 2 mile run with the husband and Asher! I was super happy with our time considering we had a stroller to push (we each took it for a mile) and since we haven’t been running much. I ran/walked 3 miles the other day with Asher and Boaz…and let me tell you that is a whole new ball game handling a stroller and a leash! Also, I’ve so been toying with the idea of sneaking in a half marathon before the weather turns cold, but based on timing it looks like we will have to shoot for next summer for some races. Maybe we can find a stroller friendly race!
5. My husband who takes such good care of me while I’m sick! From helping with Asher to coming home from work early to taking care of the dog to getting me what I want….I’m glad I married him and super glad he’s Asher’s dad!
We made it to Friday! A full week with the husband back at work. I’ve been having fun getting to know our little man more each day and he sure makes us smile and laugh a lot! Plus, he’s already 3 weeks old today! That is way close to being a month old and so far I totally get how things are in a “blur” for the first bit of having a newborn. Mostly, though, I’m loving this stage! Here are some of the things we’re loving…
Things I’m Loving:
1. Tummy time with the little man. He’s pretty good at cuddling.
2. Lots of walks.
3. Tacos! Pretty sure I’ve eaten tacos for lunch for the last three days.
4. Reading with the husband. We have continued our habit of reading a book together before bed and it’s one of my favorite times of connecting. And let’s just say any time spent with him is pretty much my favorite.
5. Sitz baths and showers. My midwife and my nurses were big on telling me to soak/take a sitz bath in order to help things heal. I totally jumped on board and have continued to take time to be alone and enjoy hot water! I like to think they’ve helped me heal up fast too 🙂
Things Asher is Loving:
1. Falling asleep during tummy time. This is one of his favorite places to fall asleep.
2. Eating. eating. and more eating.
3. Being in his car seat for walks or car rides.
4. Kicking his legs like crazy and getting his arms out of his swaddles.
5. Being rocked in his rock n play.
Things Our Family is Loving:
1. Walks with the four of us!
2. Time together in the evenings and mornings.
3. Ice cream! Well…Asher hasn’t tried it yet, but I’m guessing he might like it someday. 🙂
5. Reading books.
Here are a few of the things I’m loving lately… 🙂
1. I totally loved starting the week off with going to a gender reveal party for my sweet friend who is home from Germany! Her little girl is adorable as well and she’s getting a little brother! I’m looking forward to having her home for the next few weeks! Oh and now I’m even more excited now to find out what we are having! Oh and notice that almost 34 week bump I’m sporting there…yep. hello baby!
2. These puppies are hilarious. They definitely are fighting for dominance and love to fight over the spot underneath my chair. Though, they were able to play tug of war with each other. Boaz takes on the bully of an older brother role and likes to flaunt any and all toys that he picks up. He also uses his speed to get away whenever needed. Oh puppies!
3. I saw this sign outside of Kohl’s and loved it! This little reminder is such a good one for me. I love keeping in mind that when I am saying no to some things…oftentimes, I am saying no so that I can say YES to something else that I believe is important or valuable. Plus, getting to say yes to things you love is pretty much the best.
4. Boaz is in for such a surprise when this little baby comes! I’ve been having fun getting more baby things and getting ready. Well, let’s be honest. We’ve mainly just gotten the “important” things…a Bob jogging stroller, car seat, and this sweet Nuna Sena. Everything else has been given to us. Let’s just say that my mom is beyond excited for her first grand baby. I’m still searching for that perfect going home outfit. I figure I can’t control much, but I can control having one of those! Any favorite places to buy baby clothes!?
5. I’ve also been loving working on this puzzle and even finishing it! There was a ton of blue sky and water, which made some of the pieces difficult, but not too bad. Plus, there were pieces that glowed in the dark. Super cool. That’s what I’ve been loving lately. Oh and warmer weather finally!
What about you? What would be on your list?