1. I had my plans of “success,” money and a high-powered job. So I definitely would have thought you were joking if you told me I would be a Christian.
2. Let alone a Christian who loves missions
3. And left everything to come to Africa
4. Where I found my heart and my Jesus for real
5. Where I would be baptized
6. To celebrate being a new creation and fully surrendering and trusting my everything to Jesus
7. After living in Africa for a year, I can “kind of” tolerate certain bugs
8. But not snakes or big spiders. I am not a fan.
9. Who knew I would love getting up early to watch the African sunrise from my window
10. Or that running in circles in fields to make extra distance would make my heart extra happy
11. Nature captures my heart
12. Everything from meteor showers to shooting stars to sunsets and sunrises to the moon to stars to waterfalls to snowflakes to rainy days to green grass to mountains connects to my heart and fills me up while reminding me of God
13. Flowers (though, NOT roses…I do not like getting roses) and gifts make my heart soar
14. As does picking people up from the airport and getting picked up
15. I love finding secret places outside and exploring
16. Sitting on a rock or on top of a mountain fills me up with awe
17. I loathe fake Christmas trees and love to cut down the real ones
18. And I love Christmas lights
19. Mittens not gloves—they’re useful for carrying things like keys
20. Barefoot not shoes
21. No socks. Ew…..I hardly ever wear socks, they’re so constraining and not happy
22. I used to always have short hair because I didn’t like it touching my neck when it was up in a pony tail while playing tennis
23. I love that my hair is extra long now.
24. I go in streaks of hairstyles…my current one is braids
25. My room is covered in quotes, bible verses, pictures, and happy things
26. I am so sentimental about keeping things and have to consciously go through to throw out things that I shouldn’t really need to keep…like the envelope from a card 🙂
27. I also have a tendency to wear things out until I find that most of my shirts have holes…but I’m still wearing them…I have a hard time throwing things away, did I say that already?
28. Oddly, I hate wearing jeans. They’re not comfortable. Give me dress pants, sweat pants, gauchos or anything else.
29. Skirts and dresses are especially nice
30. For clothes and life bright, happy colors and pastels are my favorites
31. I recently bought paints in “happy” pastel colors because I recently found out I love painting
32. I wish I was more crafty, but I try
33. Ceramics makes a nice balance. I could make bowls all day long
34. Happy. Is not just a feeling, but also a way to describe clothing, music, food and flip-flops among other things.
35. Things must be “happy” in order for me to justify spending money
36. I don’t spend money easily
37. But that comes back to being indecisive
38. I weigh out all the options and play it back and forth in my head. I see so many potentials.
39. But some decisions are easy….like how I would take all the kids from Hope House home with me if I could and how I would stay here in a second
40. Another thing I am not indecisive about is my preference for vanilla/white over chocolate. Vanilla milkshakes, white chocolate, white cake. Yum.
41. Except I do love better than sex cake and I have a new found appreciation for brownies especially brownies with white chocolate, but I still prefer vanilla.
42. I pretty much always carry the book I’m reading and my bible in my purse
43. I have 2 bookshelves in my room at my parents house and I still have more books than that
44. I dislike not having all my books in one spot
45. I so want a huge library in my house someday
46. Also, I so want a big dog that loves to cuddle with me and run with me someday
47. And a godly husband who pursues God first, avidly protects purity and holiness, and really lives out 1 Corinthians 13
48. 1 Corinthians 13 in the amplified version gets my heart both giddy and weighted with how amazing love really is and that God truly loves us like that
49. I used to think that knowledge meant gathering all the information and being able to get that “A” on the test
50. I was a bit of a perfectionist when it came to school….
51. Nothing less than an “A” was acceptable
52. I realize now that for me I NEED to put things into action and practice to actually “know.” I need the application step.
53. Which is hard for me since I love to gather information and often don’t take the next step.
54. I knew about Jesus and the list of things Christians do, but I didn’t “know” Him or recognize the connection between loving Him and obeying Him
55. When you trust Him, He brings such sweet freedom into your life
56. And He helps me stand on those promises that I am beloved, the Lord’s, complete, that there is no condemnation, that I am a new creation, that He delights in me, that I am born of God, I am God’s child, and that He fulfills ALL my needs, He is my all in all
57. I write all over my bible
58. I used to hate writing in books because it makes them look messy.
59. Now, I love adding that personal touch in certain books, not all.
60. I am a huge fan of words and the meanings of words and the root words connected to the word
61. Yet I’m not a huge fan of scrabble, but I’m learning to like it…I love Bananagrams and Scrabble Apple though!
62. And you’ll find all sorts of references in my bible to Hebrew and Greek words and meanings
63. Even my blog is titled after a Hebrew word
64. B’ahava means “with love”
65. I want to do everything “with love”
66. And to show others that I believe in them and that I see their potential
67. Because Jesus loves and sees us that way
68. I don’t know if I’ll ever get a tattoo
69. But if I do and I might then I want a Hebrew word
70. Maybe even the word “Hephzibah”
71. Because then every time I looked at it, I would be reminded that I am enough in Him because He delights in me.
72. Writing makes my heart happy
73. Editing too.
74. Though, twitter and blog writing appears to have made me embrace “style” and “voice” more than “rules”
75. I am a vegetarian. Sounds funny, but I’ve been one since February 2009.
76. I don’t miss meat. I have never really craved it either.
77. Baking fills my heart up and I love trying new recipes
78. But banana bread holds a special place in my heart
79. Whenever I go to the grocery store, I totally fall for the “new” or random things
80. My iTunes now has 6 days of songs down from 48.6 and I’m still the girl who loves the repeat button like crazy. My top number of plays is 248 times.
81. I went through a process of eliminating songs that weren’t uplifting and am still very picky about what I listen to and watch
82. I strive to make all of my words those that build up and speak life
83. I often fail
84. But Jesus is refining me
85. I used to not sing out loud because someone told me once I didn’t sing well
86. But I don’t really care anymore because I love singing to God
87. And I love singing Hakuna Matata with Lindo and giving him big hugs
88. And music moves me
89. Touches my heart and can instantly bring me into the presence of God
90. Which is why I got rid of the music that didn’t do that and won’t listen to anything that doesn’t
91. Along with that, I absolutely LOVE playing music loud with the windows down in the car
92. And dancing in my room or the bathroom or the shower or anywhere really
93. I confess I bring my computer into the bathroom to play music while I take a shower–I’m sure that’s not good for my computer, but that’s okay
94. In the end, I want my life to be about letting everyone know about God
95. And the abundant life that is found in Him
96. By living to glorify Him
97. Through following Him
98. Using words of life and
99. Coming alive
100. To do everything with love that overwhelms, empowers and transforms because He delights in us.