While listening to a podcast on “Being a Bride” from Bethel Church, I heard the most striking explanation of Genesis 2:18 (And the LORD God said It is not good that the man should be alone I will make him an help meet for him). Specifically on the word help meet or in Hebrew “ezer kenegdo.” Makes me think a lot about our role as the bride of Christ as well as the role of a wife in a marriage relationship….
- Ezer is used 20 more times in the Old Testament and is used of God himself and it refers to His own effort to rescue and sustain His people.
- Ezer=power, strength, or rescue.
- Kenegdo=facing, opposite
- A power facing him.
- A strength opposite him.
- A rescue that looks him in the face.
- Made someone perfectly suited for you.
- The church is perfectly suited, perfectly designed to face this One.
Now that’s a thought! There’s a whole lot of mystery surrounded by the idea that we are the bride of Christ and that we are His “ezer kenegdo.” Okay…since I keep coming up with lots and lots of questions in life, I’m off to ponder… I’d love to hear any and all thoughts you have though or resource recommendations 🙂