Mm, I wanna be salty! I started out today reading 3 different posts about salt! I thought I’d just leave my two cents, but then realized…my two cents really looked a bit too lengthy and sent me on some bunny trails all starting with this verse:
Matthew 5:13 “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.”
—You are here to be salt seasoning that brings out the GOD-FLAVORS of this earth.
After doing some inquiries into salt here, I found quite a few ponderous nuggets to chew on:
- Salt was required in all the sacrifices (Lev. 2:13)
- If we don’t have salt in ourselves, how can we spread it out to others? (Mark 9:50) We need to be spending time with Him, loving Him, and letting Him fill our cup to overflowing so that everything comes from that and goes back to glorify Him.
- To eat salt with one is to partake of his hospitality, to derive subsistence from him; and hence he who did so was bound to look after his host’s interests (Ezra 4:14).
- The Arabic word for “salt” and for a “compact” or “treaty” is the same.
- Salt is emblematic of loyalty and friendship.
- I wonder also if the salt reference has to do with the gospel we present…are we presenting the gospel in its full “saltiness” or are we only throwing in a pinch because we are fearful or so watered down ourselves?
Lastly, I love the version of the verse in the video…Mmm, I wanna be salty, but even more I want to BRING out the GOD-FLAVORS of this earth. I want to ooze with joy and give the world a taste of this God that loves big…I want to bring out these God-flavors in others. To empower, equip, and enable all those around me to live the ABUNDANT life in Christ.
But, how can we do that if we’re not salty ourselves?
Are you salty? What are you doing to stay salty? Are you spreading your saltiness? What do you think God-flavors are? Thoughts?
4 thoughts on “Salty Two Cents of God-Flavors”
I hope…I even think so sometimes….:) I seek Him and encourage others on the journey alot…I think i lack alot of compassion and ?? when it comes to people I know that are lost…..don’t want anything to do w/God…..need to be saltier there maybe ?? I don’t know good questions!! Have you seen Shea and Dereks; photos and twitters??
I’m with you on the “I hope so.” I think for me, that’s when it comes back to listening to Him and actually OBEYING and then trusting He’s got the rest in His hands. But at the same time I know I can continue to become even more saltier and rely on Him more….so it’s a both 🙂 I’m still chewing on it all too!
I have seen some of Shea and Derek’s photos and tweets—looks sooooo beautiful and I’m so pumped for them! Have you talked to them yet?
I saw the Thrive post earlier, but didn’t know of Jill’s until I read this. It seems that salt is a hot topic today! 🙂
Apparently, huh!? I like it…it’s like a Thrive family salty party 🙂