I spent the night baking! Finally! I haven’t been in the mood to bake for so long and I definitely missed it. I am so glad and my heart is happy that this part of me can be expressed with joy instead of sadness/heartache at remembering times of baking with others. I love baking, baking with people and giving food to others. I made some brownies for those who watched Titanic and then I made banana bread with white chocolate and brown sugar from the States (woot! the brown sugar here is different…and you can’t get white chocolate in “chip” form here). I included the recipe for the banana bread below since I think it’s the best and super delicious especially with white chocolate chips. Enjoy! Any recipes that you recommend?
5 T butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, 2 egg whites or egg replacer works fabulously!
1 t. whites
1 t. vanilla
1 ½ cup mashed bananas
1 ¾ cup flour
1 t. soda
½ t. salt
¼ t. baking powder
½ cup heavy cream or soy milk
NOTE: These are REALLY good with white chocolate and many people like them with chocolate too, but I like white chocolate. Estimate how much you want in there.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray the bottom of the loaf pans (2 reg. or 4 small).
- Beat butter in a large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add sugar and brown sugar. Beat well. Add egg, egg whites, and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Add mashed bananas. Beat on high 30 sec.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Add this flour mixture to butter mixture alternately w/cream. End with flour mixture.
- Pour the batter evenly into the loaf pan. Bake until brown, toothpick inserted in center will come out clean. Baking times: Larger Loaf pan—1 hour 15 minutes. Smaller Loaf pan—45 minutes. (I don’t know if I buy these times…each oven is different and I usually find it needs more time. Just stick a knife in it and when it comes out clean then it’s ready!!).
- Cool on wire rack in pan. Remove from pan after 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. (Nah, go ahead and eat some after the first 10 minutes…YUM!)