As a follow-up to Lauren Winner’s talk, I happened to go to a P31 talk at Northwestern the other night. The Women’s Ministries’ Pastor at Bethlehem Baptist spoke on submission. Since I’m still in a “list” mood I’ll do the same as I did with the Lauren Winner talk. Here you go!
- Submission: stand in awe
- Reverence for God produces wisdom which produces virtue
- Submission is NOT: being a doormat, being passive, sinning under the authority of a husband, indicative of inferior
- Submission involves respect, joyfully placing under, trusting God
- Before the fall there was “joint-rulership”
- Women are not to submit to all men–the charge is about wives submitting to one husband
- Genesis 4:6-7 talks about the curse and how “her desire is to rule over him”
- 1 Cor. 11:3 makes a distinction of roles including that between God and Christ–there is role distinction, but in the same way one is not better than the other, they are equal.
- Submission is not about putting the husband in the place of Christ
- The Bible never tells *men* to make their wives submit–submission is the wife’s responsibility
Verses To Look Up/Mentioned: Proverbs 31, Psalm 110:1, Ephesians 5:22-24, Ephesians 5:33, Col. 3:18, Titus 2:3-5, 1 Cor. 7, 1 Peter 3:1-6, 1 Cor. 11, Genesis 4:6-7
Suggested Books: Intimate Issues by Linda Dillow, True Woman by Susan Hunt, Sex for Christians by Lewis Smedes (suggested by Lauren Winner)
2 thoughts on “Wives Submit!”
i love this site.
Thanks…I think 🙂